How to get rid of cellulite

 
Guy Bourdin

Guy Bourdin

 
 

80-90% of women have cellulite (source), everyone on our Yoom team included! It's really common and chances are most of your friends have it too, regardless of weight or body type. Beyond being a cosmetic concern for women (cellulite is a concern for only 10% of men), cellulite indicates a clogged and congested lymph system.

Should we pay attention to a sluggish lymph system? The short answer is: yes! Because our lymphatic system is our body’s internal filtration system, filtering our blood and flushing its acidic and toxic waste. When clogged, our cells, tissue and organs become overloaded with toxins which lead to a weakened immune system, chronic fatigue, bloating, weight gain, poor digestion and eventually… a build up of cellulite due to the accumulation of fat deposits in the subcutaneous skin layers causing that orange peel appearance.

How to say ‘aurevoir’ to your cellulite? 

Because our lymphatic system does NOT circulate on its own, it needs us to stimulate it, daily, with muscle contractions through exercising along with dry brushing and massaging to trigger a drainage of the fat deposits and toxins that create cellulite. 

Focusing on our problem areas like our thighs, buttocks and stomach, follow the routine below before your shower for just 5 minutes a day as part of the self-massage routine that Ayurveda recommends doing every morning (read Self body massage with oil). Doing it in the morning before you start the day can help with morning grogginess, making you feel fresh & revitalized. Within a couple of weeks to months you can expect to see real improvements on your problem areas. 

Repeat the steps below on each problem area like your stomach and buttocks. Aurevoir cellulite! 

Anti-cellulite self-massage

1. DRY BRUSHING   Brush your whole body’s skin in circular motions, starting at the tops of the feet and brush upward toward the heart. Spend more time on problem areas. This is an excellent exfoliator that will also even out your skin texture.

1. DRY BRUSHING

Brush your whole body’s skin in circular motions, starting at the tops of the feet and brush upward toward the heart. Spend more time on problem areas. This is an excellent exfoliator that will also even out your skin texture.

2. OIL YOUR HANDS   Rub sesame or coconut oil (any massage oil will do) in your hands until warm.

2. OIL YOUR HANDS

Rub sesame or coconut oil (any massage oil will do) in your hands until warm.

3. EFFLEURAGE   Gently stroke your thighs and buttocks in upwards movements with the palm of your hands, from knees to waist. Repeat 4 to 6 times getting the front, inner, outer and back sides of thighs and buttocks.

3. EFFLEURAGE

Gently stroke your thighs and buttocks in upwards movements with the palm of your hands, from knees to waist. Repeat 4 to 6 times getting the front, inner, outer and back sides of thighs and buttocks.

4. KNEADING   Now, starting at the knee, take the muscle of your thigh between your thumb and your hands and knead the muscle towards your waist, just like you’re playing with dough. Start in the front of the thigh and work your way to the inner, outer & back of the thigh and buttocks. It’s a deep movement, where you should use slight pressure to the point that it is slightly uncomfortable - this is to halt the development of fat storage and wastes and to enable the cells of your body to get the sustenance they need.

4. KNEADING

Now, starting at the knee, take the muscle of your thigh between your thumb and your hands and knead the muscle towards your waist, just like you’re playing with dough. Start in the front of the thigh and work your way to the inner, outer & back of the thigh and buttocks. It’s a deep movement, where you should use slight pressure to the point that it is slightly uncomfortable - this is to halt the development of fat storage and wastes and to enable the cells of your body to get the sustenance they need.

 
 
5. LYMPH DRAINAGE   Create a triangle with your 4 fingers and thumbs, placing one thumb behind the other and slowly apply light pressure from knee to waist, working your way around the thigh and buttocks. Note: you know you’re doing this step at the right speed if you look like you’re moving in slow motion.

5. LYMPH DRAINAGE

Create a triangle with your 4 fingers and thumbs, placing one thumb behind the other and slowly apply light pressure from knee to waist, working your way around the thigh and buttocks. Note: you know you’re doing this step at the right speed if you look like you’re moving in slow motion.

6. FIST MOVEMENTS   Close your hands into fists and bring them together, side by side onto your thigh. Slide your fists with slight pressure, opening and closing them from knee to top of the leg.      Illustrations by Faustine Badrichani

6. FIST MOVEMENTS

Close your hands into fists and bring them together, side by side onto your thigh. Slide your fists with slight pressure, opening and closing them from knee to top of the leg.

Illustrations by Faustine Badrichani

 



PROPS FOR ANTI-CELLULITE MASSAGE

Natural dry brush.jpg

NATURAL BODY BRUSH

  • Professional Body Brush for dry skin brushing

  • Medium strength natural bristles, suitable for those with sensitive skin

  • Size: 13 cm x 8 cm

  • Eco-friendly, sustainable product with FSC certified Beechwood

BUY

MASSAGE OIL

  • Balancing for all Mind & Body Types

  • Good choice when constitution type is unknown

  • Good for complex constitutions and imbalances

  • Rejuvenates the body and calms the mind

BUY